Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Bloody Sand Bunkers


I can't believe how many times over the years I have heard the cry "bloody sand bunkers" from a golfing partner after a poor bunker shot. Sand play is elementary physics. I was never a science whiz at school, but I learned enough to know that if you push the sand beneath the ball in the correct manner it will transfer your energy and lift the ball in the way you want it to fly.

Let me give you an example: think about splashing around in a pool. When you want to splash someone way on the other side of the pool, you whisk your palm across the top of the water with a flat skimming motion, creating a long, low splash.

When you want to splash some close to you, you slap down on a sharp angle onto the water for a high cresting splash. Picture your golf ball riding the tops of those splashes and you will have a good idea of the basic forces at work in bunker play.

Instead of water, your ball rides out on the sand and instead of using your hand you have used the golf club.

Be good and safe into Christmas and the New Year,
See you at the 19th hole.

By Bruce Smith - BruceSmithGolf.com

Photo by Simonecwb

No comments:

Post a Comment